Charley was born in 1980 and raised in the Polk County town of Dallas, Oregon. His mother’s family operated a leather tannery using a natural vegetable tanning process, which was the only tannery of its type West of the Mississippi River. Prior to law school, Charley worked in construction, food service, as a medical courier and in a printed circuit board assembly plant. Charley has been with Swanson, Thomas, Coon & Newton since 2004 when he started as a clerk on the personal injury team. His experience at the firm inspired him to attend law school.
After earning his B.A. in philosophy at Portland State University, Charley graduated from the University of Oregon School of Law in 2010. During law school, he held leadership positions in the Student Oregon Trial Lawyers Association and the Torts and Insurance Practice Section of the American Bar Association. Charley was also awarded the James T. Landye Scholarship, based on scholastic ability and his interest in trial law and labor law.
He is a member of:
- Oregon Trial Lawyers Association (serves on the Legislative Committee)
- Multnomah Bar Association (serves on the Court Liaison Committee, former Chair of the Futures Committee)
- Oregon State Bar (serves on the Uniform Jury Instructions-Civil Committee)
- American Association of Justice (Member of the Bicycle Litigation Group)
- Public Justice Foundation
- National Lawyers Guild
- Bicycle Transportation Alliance
- Oregon Walks
Charley also serves as President of Umbrella, a fiscal sponsor nonprofit organization that works to encourage active street culture.
He and his wife live in the Creston-Kenilworth neighborhood in SE Portland. Charley is a diehard all-season bicycle commuter.